Many students presume that they will be covered by their landlords' insurance policies if they are burgled when living in rented accommodation at university, according to Direct Line.

The insurance company claims that those who have signed tenancy agreements with private landlords while they study "could be in for a shock"when they find out they require their own contents cover to protect their possessions.

September and October is traditionally a busy time for private landlords in university towns and cities because it marks the start of the first semester at higher education facilities across the UK.

The majority of those starting their second year at university will be looking to move out of halls of residence and into private rented accommodation nearby.

Andrew Lowe, head of Direct Line Home Insurance, said students should see if they can get their belongings put on their parents' home insurance policies.

Written by John Weeks

Related posts:

  1. Theft warning for student landlords’properties
  2. Private landlords told not to cut back on cover
  3. Landlord rent ‘costs students £77.20 a week’
  4. Student accommodation demand remains
  5. Students advised on tenancy agreements

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.