A landlord legal bill of nearly £8,000 has been sent the way of AD Lettings in Nelson, Lancashire.

It comes after a fire in Burnley resulted in three tenants losing their homes, but it could have been worse.

The Lancashire Telegraph reports that the bedsits affected by the fire were potential death traps.

Chief fire officer in the town Peter Holland revealed that fire extinguishers were not working, there was no proper emergency lighting and the smoke detectors had been tampered with.

He added: "With the help of publicity surrounding this case, we can send out a clear message about how important it is to ensure commercial premises are made fire safe."

All letting agents and private landlords should be aware that properties must adhere to the Gas Safe Register regulations, which came into force on April 1st this year. The legislation replaced the Corgi gas scheme.

Written by Mark Garner
ADNFCR-2002-ID-19176816-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Landlords urged to get to grips on fire safety
  2. Private landlord fined for fire safety failures
  3. Britons ‘not alert to fire risks’
  4. Fire threat ‘eight times greater in shared accommodation’
  5. Tenant loses landlord legal case

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME