Landlords should ensure that tenants take extra precautions against fire during the festive period.

Home insurer More Than said that the amount of homes damaged by fire will rise by 180 per cent over the holidays.

The company explained that there was a sharp increase in the number of fire incidents reported last Christmas day.

Most fires originated from ovens or candles and the insurers said that people must take extra care when cooking their Christmas dinners.

Head of More Than home insurance Annette Lepper said: "Christmas day is a time for enjoyment, friends and family. We would encourage homeowners to take a few simple precautions to make sure that you don't let a fire ruin your celebration."

Turning ovens off when the food has been taken out and never leaving a burning candle unattended are tips for homeowners to keep property safe.

Christmas decorations such as tinsel should also be kept away from heat sources, More Than advises.

On December 15th, the London Fire Brigade urged property owners to take care not to overload plug sockets during the festive season.

Written by Mark GarnerADNFCR-2002-ID-19523959-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. AXA: Christmas shock if landlords fail to protect pipes
  2. Bristol landlord apologises for ‘bad taste Christmas message’
  3. Homeowners ‘should take steps to prevent winter damage’
  4. Private landlord fined for fire safety failures
  5. Landlords urged to get to grips on fire safety

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME