Owners of rented accommodation have been urged to make sure their gas appliances are properly maintained.

A landlord in Cornwall was recently prosecuted after it was revealed that she had failed to respond to a notice to carry out gas safety checks.

Sajida Kausar Ali, from St Ives, was told to pay £4,000 in costs for her negligence, as well as her failure to remove gas appliances from bedrooms.

Stephen Manley, an inspector at the Health and Safety Executive, commented: "People needlessly die each year due to a lack of effective maintenance of gas appliances"

He added that all landlords must make sure they fulfil their legal obligations, as outlined by the Housing Act and Gas Safety Regulations.

This, he stated, would reduce risk to tenants and enable to avoid landlords facing similar punishments.

A landlord was recently fined £4,000 by Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council after they became aware of various hazards in his property and brought them to his attention.

However, he did not act on the recommendations given and was issued with the penalty as a result.
ADNFCR-2002-ID-18869940-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Landlords plan to buy bargain properties

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME