Landlords have been warned about the consequences of failing to keep on top of health and safety regulations in their properties.

With the economic downturn affecting homeowners across the country, private landlords may find it difficult to finance necessary improvements to their houses.

However, they have been warned that this will not be accepted as an excuse for poorly kept and unsafe properties.

According to the Norwich Evening News, Yarmouth landlord Madhu Bhajanehatti ignored several orders to carry out work on unsafe gas boilers in his rental flats, citing a lack of funds as the reason behind his failure to act.

But the 34-year-old has now been hit with a £24,280 fine after officials found that he continued to put tenants at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, while he was warned that he could also face a jail term for the offence.

Mr Bhajanehatti had already been forced to pay out a £24,840 fine last October, with the Health and Safety Executive warning at the time that all landlords must ensure they obtain gas safety certificates for their appliances.ADNFCR-2002-ID-18978193-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Private landlord fined for gas safety breach
  2. Landlords face prosecution over ‘excessively cold’flats
  3. Warning to landlords after record number of complaints
  4. Peterborough landlord fined £870
  5. Landlords ‘must comply with regulation’

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME