Private landlords could be putting their tenants' lives at risk if they resort to DIY gas work to save them money, according to the Gas Safe Register.

The warning comes after a survey showed that 15 per cent of people would always turn to professional tradesmen when fitting a new gas appliance.

Also, around a fifth of UK households feature a gas boiler that has not been serviced in three years or more.

Private landlords who cut back on the cost of gas and electrical installations amid the current credit crunch could put tenants at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning or gas explosions.

Ann Robinson, director of public awareness at Gas Safe Register, said: "For the sake of a few pounds, they risk endangering the life of anyone who lives in that property - a life that is priceless."

Her warning comes after the National Landlords Association this week urged rented accommodation owners to take rental laws on fire safety seriously.

Legislation differs from property to property, but private landlords could find their accommodation has to provide specific fire safety equipment such as alarms, smoke detectors, self-closing doors or emergency lighting.ADNFCR-2002-ID-19032599-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Private landlord fined for fire safety failures
  2. Private landlords urged to research gas safety
  3. Private landlord fined for gas safety breach
  4. Landlords urged to get to grips on fire safety
  5. Gas appliances ‘must be maintained’

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME