The death of a Burnley grandmother from carbon monoxide poisoning has brought to light the importance of having household appliances checked.

A coroner this week confirmed that Elizabeth Mulrooney, 75, died last August after inhaling poisonous fumes which emerged from a coal-burning fire in her home, reports the Lancashire Telegraph.

“This is one of those tragedies where, as you say, you never thought about suspecting the chimney, or the flue,"said coroner Richard Taylor, who recorded an accidental verdict.

The accident also serves as a warning to private landlords, who need to safeguard their tenants' wellbeing by ensuring that gas and electricity appliances are checked regularly by experts.

Ann Robinson, director of public awareness at Gas Safe Register, expressed her concern after research showed that only 15 per cent of Britons always use professional tradesmen when fitting a new gas appliance.

Ms Mulrooney's daughter Deborah Hayes told the newspaper that she had not suspected the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because the house featured a coal fire rather than a gas fire.ADNFCR-2002-ID-19034410-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Call for awareness of landlord responsibilities on gas safety
  2. Private landlords urged to research gas safety
  3. Landlords warned against gas threat
  4. Private landlord fined for gas safety breach
  5. Landlord could face jail for unsafe boilers

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME