Rented property owners might be good at every aspect of their job but they can still risk tenants' lives by ignoring a vital aspect of their landlord responsibilities - gas safety.

Judge John Maxwell of Stafford Crown Court fined landlord Shahid Hussain £40,000, plus £44,500 in costs, after a tenant in one of his flats died from carbon monoxide poisoning, reports the Burton Mail.

The incident comes after data published by Gas Safe Register showed that only 15 per cent of Britons regularly use professional tradesmen when fitting new gas appliances in their homes.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive after the death in February 2007 found that a gas fire at the Burton property was leaking high levels of the deadly gas, which killed 58-year-old tenant Gordon Cunningham.

"Hussain's failure was careless rather than deliberate. In all other respects, the defendant appears to have been a good landlord,"Judge Maxwell commnented.ADNFCR-2002-ID-19040544-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Private landlords urged to research gas safety
  2. Private landlord fined for gas safety breach
  3. Gas appliances ‘must be maintained’
  4. Call for awareness of landlord responsibilities on gas safety
  5. Landlords urged to check gas appliances

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME