Exactly three months on since the new Gas Safe Register was introduced as the official stamp for gas safety, private landlords have been warned of the importance of maintaining appliances correctly.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has claimed that around 20 people are killed every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning as result of faulty gas appliances.

This landlord advice comes after Tamworth man Paul Bird was prosecuted at Burton-on-Trent magistrates court last month after four people were taken to hospital suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a property where he was managing agent.

Mr Bird was fined £2,000 and had to pay £2,220 in costs after pleading guilty to four charges under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

With no recent gas safety check having been made in this particular case, HSE investigating inspector Andrew Bowker said: "Landlords and managing agents must ensure that their gas appliances are checked for safety on an annual basis and are suitably serviced and maintained."

Written by Claire Doyle
ADNFCR-2002-ID-19245490-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Private landlords warned about gas safety
  2. Landlords warned against gas threat
  3. Landlords urged to check gas appliances
  4. Private landlord fined for gas safety breach
  5. Private landlords urged to research gas safety

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME