A Worcester landlord is now facing a fine of £2,500 after a family living in one of his properties was taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

In addition to the fine for failing to adequately maintain a gas boiler, Shazad Ishaq was also ordered by Worcester magistrates to pay £1,500 in costs.

The court was told that a flue gas spillage had been identified by a National Grid engineer before the family was evacuated and taken to hospital in March last year.

In addition, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) noted that an inadequate amount of air was supplied to the boiler, which had also not been properly cleaned or maintained.

"There is a duty on landlords to maintain gas appliances in safe condition for use by their tenants and ensure their certificates are up to date. Mr Ishaq failed to do either of these things,"said HSE inspector Janice Willets, according to a Worcester News report.

According to the HSE, all landlords or agents need to ensure that a Gas Safe Registered engineer carries out a yearly safety check and does all maintenance for flues, appliances and pipelines.

It is the landlord's duty to keep records of this check for two years and to make sure that all tenants have a copy within 28 days of the inspection.

Written by John WeeksADNFCR-2002-ID-19287106-ADNFCR

Related posts:

  1. Gas safety ‘an important landlord responsibility’
  2. Check gas appliances are safe, private landlords warned
  3. Landlord fined for gas safety failure
  4. Gas safety rules flouted
  5. Private landlords urged to research gas safety

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

HOME