Landlords warned about carbon monoxide risk

Private landlords have been urged to check the manufacturer and design of the cookers they provide tenants after a warning about a potential carbon monoxide risk was made by Trading Standards.Some Leisure, Flavel, New World and Belling products could produce dangerous levels of the gas if the grill door is not left open during use [...]

Landlord responsibilities reiterated

Private landlords have been reminded about their responsibilities when it comes to electrical safety.Tony Cable, spokesman for the electrical contractors' independent voluntary group NICEIC, told Cambridge News that all landlords who provide electrical appliances in the homes they rent out need to ensure their equipment meets the correct criteria.Cookers, washing machines and toasters, among other [...]

Tenant and landlord advice offered

Both tenants and private landlords can help prevent accidents in the home caused by faulty gas appliances, it would seem.According to the Gas Safe Register's national investigations officer Phill Brewster, property owners or renters should always check that any engineer who is used to undertake work on a gas system is qualified.Reporting any illegal gas [...]

Warning about cowboy gas fitters

Private landlords and the tenants renting properties off them may wish to take note of the latest research from the Gas Safe Register.According to the official body for gas safety in the UK, there are an estimated 7,500 illegal gas fitters doing jobs in the country without the required qualifications.Over half (57 per cent) of [...]

Private landlords reminded of gas safety

Private landlords should be aware that they have a legal responsibility to keep gas appliances safe.They are the words of Peter Eldridge, the chief executive at Gas Safe Register, who has reminded property professionals that gas systems need to be safety checked and serviced on an annual basis.His comments come as thousands of British youngsters [...]

Landlord faces £2,500 fine for boiler maintenance failure

A Worcester landlord is now facing a fine of £2,500 after a family living in one of his properties was taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.In addition to the fine for failing to adequately maintain a gas boiler, Shazad Ishaq was also ordered by Worcester magistrates to pay £1,500 in costs.The court was [...]

Landlords reminded of legal obligations

Landlords are being warned to make sure they have checked their rental properties are free from electrical faults. The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) has reminded landlords that carrying out basic checks could prevent up to 30 deaths and 4,000 injuries each year. "An inspection of the electrical installation by a registered electrician, known as a [...]

Lack of electrical safety certificates ‘bizarre’

One of a landlord's responsibilities is to provide customers with gas safety certificates when they sign a tenancy agreement - but there is an absence of the equivalent document for electrics.This phenomenon has been described as "bizarre"by Cornwall coroner Andrew Cox, who had to record a verdict of accidental death when Thirza Whittall was [...]

GHA ‘reassures tenants’

The Glasgow Housing Association (GHA) spoke out this weekend to reassure tenants that its properties contain adequate fire safety precautions.According to the Herald, the statement was made following a blaze in a 1960s-style block of apartments in Camberwell, London which killed six people.Daily fire safety checks are carried out on multi-storey flats, a GHA spokeswoman [...]

Check gas appliances are safe, private landlords warned

Exactly three months on since the new Gas Safe Register was introduced as the official stamp for gas safety, private landlords have been warned of the importance of maintaining appliances correctly.The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has claimed that around 20 people are killed every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning as result of faulty [...]